Diane, A Broad
October 2, 2012

Apple Rose Tarts

Say that you are having a party. Say, a large party, one with lots of guests. The kinds of guests you want to impress, but are svelte health-conscious types, so you don’t want to go overboard with dessert and serve a seven-layer chocolate cake or something.

This. This is what you should serve.

Not only are these tarts impressively beautiful, they’re something of a Cinderella dessert: despite all their frills and puffs, at their hearts they’ve got the honest flavor of down-home apple pie, all cinnamon and sugar and sweet homey reminiscence.

Apple Rose Tarts

Yield: three 5-inch tarts

Apple Rose Tarts

Ingredients

• 1/2 recipe pie dough/pâte brisée
  • 1 cup apple butter
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 6-8 medium rosy-skinned gala apples
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • pinch salt
  • powdered sugar for dusting

Directions

1. Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. Roll out the pie dough into three circles large enough to fit into three 5-inch tart molds, then tuck the dough into the tart molds. Poke the crusts with a fork several times, then chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
  3. When the crusts are done chilling, line the insides with parchment paper and weigh them down with either pie weights or beans. Par-bake the crusts for 10-15 minutes, until just set but not yet golden. Remove the crusts from the oven, split the apple butter evenly between the 3 crusts and spread evenly. Sprinkle the apple butter evenly with the cinnamon.
  4. With a vegetable peeler, peel strips off of the apples, trying to keep a bit of the skin on the edge of each strip for color. Vary the sizes of the strips from 1-2 inches. When you have made strips out of all of your apples, toss the strips with the lemon juice and sugar.
  5. To make roses: take a small strip of apple and roll it into a tight cone. Roll another small strip of apple around the cone to make a petal. Continue adding petals in this manner, using larger and larger strips, until the rose is about 1 inch in diameter. Place the finished rose into the apple butter in one of the tarts so that the bottom is secure and the rose holds together. Continue making roses and placing them into the tarts until all three are full of apple roses.
  6. Place the tarts back in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the crusts are golden brown and the apples are beginning to get tender. Cool slightly and serve warm, or cool completely to serve cold. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.

Notes

Music to cook by: Angels [The xx // Coexist]

Share on FacebookGoogle+Pin on Pinterestshare on TumblrTweet about this on Twitter
Posted in: cooking, desserts | Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Apple Rose Tarts”

1. They look so so soooo pretty!!! I am completely in awe :)

2. Diane, I am in awe too! Just beautiful! :) Fae.

3. Wow, these are just as beautiful and impressive as the nectarine tarts!

4. That is GORGEOUS! Pinning right now.

5. They are so beautiful!

6. Celiac Kiddo says:

These are stunning! If I didn’t have 2 little kids running around I would definitely make these for a dinner party.
    -Dana

7. Absolutely beautiful!

8. ANais says:

So pretty!!!
    Can you freeze this?

9. vyvacious says:

I always struggle with making anything I make look pretty. Gotta work on that. These look gorgeous.

10. Karen says:

I must say that the apple roses are not so easy to make…2 hours to fill a pie…lol! Instead of your filling recipe I used my family’s recipe for Dutch Apple Pie and then inserted the roses into the filling. I was much darker than your tart but looked amazing. I mentioned that there was a pie contest in a small town near us. So, my big mouth hubby told everyone that I was entering the contest. I remade the pie for the contest. And, I won! First prize out of 19 pies. No actual prize money, but the recognition was great. Thanks for the brilliant idea. Can’t say I will make an entire pie this way again but maybe for just the centre.

11. Gianna says:

I want to make this for Thanksgiving, but I’m a bit confused about the process… You’re saying to cut a pie crust into 3 pieces and roll them into circles correct? Will a store-bought pie crust roll out easily without breaking/crumbling?

• It depends on what kind you use. Some of them are well-made and roll out and piece together easily, but some of them will crumble. I recommend trying to find a pie crust made with all butter or, better yet, make homemade pie crust!

12. omg this is owesome, it is a piece of art, beautiful

13. Agreed! What gorgeous fruit.

14. Hooray! I’m so glad you won! You’re right, it takes a while to make the roses, but I think the results are worth it.

15. veronica says:

that looks so not good

16. was looking for great content over the internet, glad I stumbled upon yours, not really into cooking but I gotta say, your blog looks amazing, hats off. Gonna link to your blog in one of my posts, this deserves to be shared.

17. Very nice Foods

i found some thing different

i like your post and found this post on StumbleUpon.

Thanks For Sharing

18. […] Creemore Apple Pie Contest against nineteen other pies.  She got the idea for the apple roses from Diane, A Broad, but the pie filling and crust were Karen’s own recipes. The pie took two hours to make and […]