Apple Rose Tarts
Say that you are having a party. Say, a large party, one with lots of guests. The kinds of guests you want to impress, but are svelte health-conscious types, so you don’t want to go overboard with dessert and serve a seven-layer chocolate cake or something.
This. This is what you should serve.
Not only are these tarts impressively beautiful, they’re something of a Cinderella dessert: despite all their frills and puffs, at their hearts they’ve got the honest flavor of down-home apple pie, all cinnamon and sugar and sweet homey reminiscence.
- 1/2 recipe pie dough/pâte brisée
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6-8 medium rosy-skinned gala apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Roll out the pie dough into three circles large enough to fit into three 5-inch tart molds, then tuck the dough into the tart molds. Poke the crusts with a fork several times, then chill in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- When the crusts are done chilling, line the insides with parchment paper and weigh them down with either pie weights or beans. Par-bake the crusts for 10-15 minutes, until just set but not yet golden. Remove the crusts from the oven, split the apple butter evenly between the 3 crusts and spread evenly. Sprinkle the apple butter evenly with the cinnamon.
- With a vegetable peeler, peel strips off of the apples, trying to keep a bit of the skin on the edge of each strip for color. Vary the sizes of the strips from 1-2 inches. When you have made strips out of all of your apples, toss the strips with the lemon juice and sugar.
- To make roses: take a small strip of apple and roll it into a tight cone. Roll another small strip of apple around the cone to make a petal. Continue adding petals in this manner, using larger and larger strips, until the rose is about 1 inch in diameter. Place the finished rose into the apple butter in one of the tarts so that the bottom is secure and the rose holds together. Continue making roses and placing them into the tarts until all three are full of apple roses.
- Place the tarts back in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the crusts are golden brown and the apples are beginning to get tender. Cool slightly and serve warm, or cool completely to serve cold. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving.
Inspired by Вкусно с Йоли
Music to cook by: Angels [The xx // Coexist]